With temperatures soaring and the sun shining, chances are you’re getting ready for that long-awaited holiday. If you’re spending your summer abroad or even taking a staycation, one problem that can cause chaos for your hair is frizz. So, read our tops tips on how you can finally tame it and also discover the best products to help beat frizzy hair caused by unwanted humidity.
Holiday haircare to tame frizz and tackle humidity
What causes frizz and how can I stop it?
Over-washing and a lack of moisture are common causes of frizz, but the main reason in the summer months is humidity. When dry hair is exposed to humid climates, it absorbs moisture from the air which then causes the cuticle to swell and frizz. This means limpness for fine hair but unruly static in coarse hair.
To combat humidity, you’ll need care and styling products that will keep your hair nourished and moisturised. Look out for moisture heavy shampoos and conditioners containing ingredients such as coconut oil and shea butter and try to add a nourishing hair mask or serum to your routine. If you plan on swimming while on holiday, remember to also bring a clarifying shampoo to keep your hair clear of pollutants.
Which haircare ranges should I use?
Frizz can happen to any hair type, but you can stop it with the right haircare products. We’ve picked three of our bestselling ranges that feature anti-humidity products, but remember that you can mix and match to create a frizz-free routine that’s unique to you.
Redken Frizz Dismiss
Redken Frizz Dismiss is an award-winning range that will keep unruly frizz at bay for the summer. Created by the brand’s in-houses chemists, each product contains sustainably sourced Babassu oil to condition, soften and protect your hair against humidity while nourishing the scalp. The results are visibly smoother and shinier hair ready to face the summer heat.
• Removes unwanted static from all hair types
• Babassu oil smooths hair and nourishes the scalp
• Gently cleanses hair while improving its manageability
Matrix Total Results A Curl Can Dream
Matrix’s A Curl Can Dream range features haircare and styling products made specially for taming frizz in curly and coiled hair. Each product contains Manuka honey extract to deeply cleanse and nourish hair without disrupting the curl’s natural pattern. When used as a complete system, A Curl Can Dream leaves curls soft, defined and protected against humidity.
• Deeply cleanses and preserves curly and coiled hair
• Manuka honey extract nourishes hair
• Free-form formula features no parabens, silicones or paraffins
Paul Mitchell Clean Beauty Anti-Frizz
From Paul Mitchell Clean Beauty, the Anti-Frizz collection features a shampoo, conditioner and mask infused with an organic blend of hyaluronic acid and cold-pressed almond for hair prone to frizz and dryness. The range’s uses ingredients of natural origin to smooth hair and are contained in sugarcane packaging, meaning you’re embracing the company’s Planet Loving Principles.
• Almond oil improves hair’s manageability
• Range features ingredients up to 89% natural origin
• Hyaluronic acid hydrates hair and prevents breakage
Which styling products should I use?
Lômé Paris Frizz Control Cream
The Lômé Paris Frizz Control Cream adds a dose of moisture to wavy and dry hair. Massaging in this smooth cream eliminates frizz and improves your hair’s elasticity, giving hairstyles a silky finish.
• Suitable for treating dry, wavy and frizzy hair
• Eliminates frizz and leaves hair soft to touch
• Adds soft hold to hairstyles
Schwarzkopf Professional Osis+ Tame Wild Smoothing Anti-Frizz Cream
From Schwarzkopf Professional, the Osis+ Tame Wild Smoothing Anti-Frizz Cream smooths the most rebellious frizz with a soft and lightweight finish. Its unique formula protects your hair against static and frizz for up to seven days after your next wash.
• Anti-frizz protection for up to seven days
• provides heat protection up to 220⁰C
• Smooths hair with a natural shine
Which styling products should I use?
Wella Professionals EIMI Flowing Form Anti-Frizz Hair Balm
The Wella Professionals EIMI Flowing Form Anti-Frizz Hair Balm is specially made to protect your hair against frizz and dehydration before heat styling. Creating a smooth and soft canvas, you can create hairstyles with natural movement that will last all day.
• Protects hair against dehydration
• Professional formula gives hair flexible hold
• Gives hair natural movement
Schwarzkopf Professional Osis+ Magic Anti Frizz Shine Serum
Schwarzkopf’s Professional Osis+ Magic Anti Frizz Shine Serum is perfect for instantly giving hair a soft gloss while on your travels. Suitable for daily use, only a small amount is enough to tame frizz without weighing your hair down.
• Gives hair an instant shimmer
• Tames frizz without weighing hair down
• Washes out easily
Keep your hair frizz-free with these styling products
Now that we’ve explored the best humidity hair products to help you fight frizz, here are some extra tips to keep your hair frizz-free during your summer holidays:
• Wash your hair every two or three days to prevent the stripping of your natural oils
• If your hair is dry, apply your anti-frizz serum or cream on wet hair before blow-drying
• Gently squeeze water out of your hair when towel-drying – roughing up your hair can lead to static
• Turn your heat tools and shower down to a cool setting
• Brush your hair through with either a detangling comb or brush after blow-drying